Total Pageviews

STAND BY ME

I get emotional everytime I watch. Please take a few minutes and listen to this video. (There's also a documentary called "Playing for Change" on youtube.com)

October 25, 2010

mixed media background


My favorite thing to do is make these
backgrounds to use in my Mixed media art.

**** Mono print Background Tutorial****
I used Rosin Paper for the base.
1) Gesso all surfaces....DRY
2) Glu down bits of Ephemera,( scrap papers,
book pages, Asian text...music. stamped images .etc
3) the next step requires a surface to paint on.
a piece of glass or a piece of cardboard,
about the size of a piece of photo - copy paper.
Roll out acrylic paint,on the cardboard.
Place another piece of good sturdy paper
on top of this and rub your hand over the top.
you will now have transferred the paint.
Turn this new painted paper over on top of
your base Rosin paper,immediately rubbing again
with your hand over the painted paper.
You can do this over and over again,
with as many colors as you want,
in whatever areas that you like.
Dry between applications.
I used a lacy stencil on top of this and
dabbed with turquoise paint.
That made those larger spots that you see.
I also added a paper napkin with red roses on it,
and then i painted with red acrylic ,
through bits of sequin waste, in other areas.
The next step i took was to dab some areas
with warm white acrylic to soften.
Finally.... i took some vintage distress ink and
applied to several areas around the outside
of my paper.
SIGN YOUR WORK !!!
Lillian

5 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Beautiful1

Elena said...

I really love this background Lil! How did you do it?

Elena said...

Thanks for the tutorial Lil! Great page! Don't you just love that red rosin paper!!! ??? LOL!!!

LuLu said...

Looks great!

I think I read about this technique - called decalomania, invented by Max ernst, I think. I really love doing this, especially with tinted or clear gessos!

Where do we buy red rosin paper? iS that the same as roofing paper?

Thanks for sharing.

Peace,
LuLu

A Fondness For Circles said...

I would also like to get hold of some rosin paper. Where would I find it please? Such a fantastic outcome from your technique. Thank you.