Total Pageviews

STAND BY ME

I get emotional everytime I watch. Please take a few minutes and listen to this video. (There's also a documentary called "Playing for Change" on youtube.com)

May 13, 2010

background paper


YES!!!! this is the roll of
Red Rosin paper
that ....! carried back
(On the plane, from Miami)
It weighs about 8 lbs.
I could not find it
here in Canada.....
You have to understand
that artists get obsessed with
things they cant find!

Its wonderfully strong
and accepts paint and
textures beautifully.
and I had to have it!!!



Some friends have asked me about that turquoise
paper on my journal pages and how I made it.
I did some yesterday and here are my results.
Originally I used card stock , for my base.
But here Ive used Red Rosin paper.
!) Gesso your paper and set it to dry....

2) I then glued stripes of Ledger paper,
I have also used phone book pages, etc

3) Take a clean foam meat tray
Roll turquoise paint over the bottom of the tray.
Flip it over on to the Rosin paper and rub
the backside on to the gessoed paper
making a mono print.
Repeat as many times as you like.
You can also add different colors adding variations
here I used a small amount of shade flesh.

4) from here you can go on to spatter, stamp
add stucco etc for texture

Each piece of paper will turn out different and
Im sure you will be surprised along the way.
Let me know how you do and have FUN!!!!!






12 comments:

tracyozzie said...

Just beautiful. As usual you pages are amazing.

Tolegranny said...

I just love it. Does that paper come in other colours?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you carried that roll of paper home! Did it fit in the overhead compartment?
I love that background and have plenty of those foam trays, so am going to try that out this weekend.
Eileen

Elena said...

What awesome work Lil!!! Don't you just LOVE this paper!!! Let me know when you need more and I will send it to you!

Hugs!

Juliet A said...

Unbelievable - you carried that roll onto the airplane? It doesn't have magical properties, it's just cheap strong paper.

I have to say, I love what you are doing with it.

Lee said...

never heard of that paper here ,great job! That roll should keep you going for a while LOL!

Keron Lee said...

lovely work - turquoise gives the composition such a 'zing' quality - could you please tell more about the 'rosin' paper - I use rosin in printmaking for aquatinting - as a powder - I didn't know it came in paper & what difference it makes. Does it make it more durable? Difference in surface texture or 'permeability'? etc thanks in advance.
Keron (from art techniques group)

LynnF said...

Hi Lillian, this is my first time to your blog....awesome, that's all I can say! Your turquoise papers are stunning as is the art pieces you've done with them! Thanks for the tutorial! LynnF

Pat said...

I stumbled onto your blog and fell in love! I went all the way back to March 09 and will visit again soon! I'm in Folsom (Sacramento)
California.

Jennifer R.D. said...

HI Lillian!
I love your turquoise pages! Check out what I did this week with the rosen paper,
http://artisticallydesigneddiversions.blogspot.com/
Hugs,
Jen

Laura Haviland said...

Lillan, I love these so wonderful.
The colors are wonderful, fabulous art dolls.
I will enjoy following you.
Hugs,Laura.
I love the backgrounds,brillant !!

Purrplekatt said...

This is just gorgeous! I'm not sure if I've ever seen Rosin paper, but I'll be on the look out for it.